Bangabasi College Alumni Association
- History of the Alumni Association : The registered Alumni Association of Bangabasi College was formed during late 1950s under the active initiative of the then Principal Prasanta Kumar Bose and it became an open platform for the former students, teachers and non-teaching staff to meet their beloved mates and exchange views on several aspects related to the development of this institution. Within a short while since its inception, the strength of members of the Alumni Association gained momentum and their presence could be felt not only in academic discussions but also at the college ground at Kolkata Maidan where the Association often organized sports meet among its members. The Association also used to organize cultural functions and special lectures by eminent personalities. However, the heyday of the Association could not last for a long period because of some financial and administrative crises. In fact, the functioning of the Association came to a halt during 1969-70. After a long gap of about 30 years, some former teachers and students of Bangabasi College took fresh initiatives for the revival of the Alumni Association, and it is due to their earnest and sincere efforts that the current Association started functioning since July 2003, and i t became a registered body since March 2007. At present there are about 200 life-members of this Association and they are working hard for the cause of Bangabasi College. The Alumni Association maintains its own website.
- The aim of this very vibrant and jubilant association has always been extending all sorts of support as would be required by the college authority and further organizing different philanthropic and social service activities. Among the programmes undertaken by the Association, the most noteworthy is the financial support to the poor & meritorious students of the College to clear their University Examination fees. So far, a whole lot of poor students of B.A, B.Sc. and B.Com who have appeared for Part-I/II/III examination of Calcutta University have received this financial support.
- In addition, the Association provides cash prizes and medals to the students who score highest marks in their Part-I/II/III (Hons.) Examinations; The ‘Ramala Ghosh Memorial Prize’ is given to the Honours students of B.A, B.Sc. and B.Com streams of the college who secure highest marks in their Part-III examination among all the candidates of all streams in any particular year. This endowment fund, amounting Rupees Seventy Five Thousand, has been contributed by the honorable vice-President of the Association, Sri Ashok Kumar Ghosh.
- Since 2014, another such endowment fund of Rupees One Lakh has been donated by Dr. Atreyi Maitra, former Associate Professor and Head of the Department of History, Bangabasi College. This fund is used for encouraging the Honours students of B.A, B.Sc. & B.Com., who has scored highest marks among all the candidates appearing for either Part-I or Part- II honours examination from the College.
- Since a substantial part of the students of the College come from families with poor economic background, all these financial supports help them immensely to overcome monetary constraints, particularly in carrying out their educational expenses at the college level. The Alumni Association also provides career counseling to the third year students so that they become aware of the future scopes of higher studies and job opportunities in their respective fields.
- Since 2008, the Association has been regularly publishing a souvenir depicting its yearly activities.
- The Association also organizes annual ‘Get Together’ within the college premises and this function becomes meaningful in establishing a close communication between the former and present Principal or Teacher- in- Charge, teachers, students and non-teaching staff of the College.
- As one of the stakeholders of our institution, the Alumni Association provides important feedback on development plans and other activities of the college. Their suggestions on various academic and extra-curricular activities of our institution are found to be of immense help for the college administration since those suggestions arise from their long experience regarding the functioning of the institution
- The membership strength has increased by about 60 per cent during 2007-15, and it holds about 5 executive meetings and one AGM each year. It is hoped that the Alumni Association would expand further in near future both in terms of its life-members and its manifold activities.
- The illustrious Alumni of the College include – Sri Jatin Das and Mujaffar Ahamed, freedom fighters, Late Swami Lokeshwarananda, Senior Monk, Ramakrishna Mission; Shri Tushar Kanti Ghosh, Editor, Jugantar & Amrita Bazar Patrika; Dr. A.P. Mitra, Director General, CSIR; Prof. Aniruddha Ganguly, Harvard Medical School, U.S.A, Eminent poet Nirendranath Chakraborty, Prof. Shankar Kumar Sen, former Vice Chancellor, Jadavpur University, Prof. Pabitra Sarkar, former Vice Chancellor, Rabindra Bharati University, Sri Kanad Dasgupta, Chief of News Bureau, Samvad Pratidin, Prof. Dr. Chandrasekhar Chakraborty, Honorable Vice Chancellor, West Bengal University of Fishery and Animal Husbandry, Sri Subrata Mukherjee, Honorable Minister and many others.
|President||Dr. Purnendu sengupta,Ex-Principal of Bangabasi College|
|Secretary||Prof. santinath Chatterjee, Retired faculty memberof Dept. of Philosophy|
Dr. Bholanath Mullick, Retired faculty member of Dept. of Chemistry
Dr. Gopal Chandra Mandal, Associate Professor, Dept. of Anthropology
|Treasurer||Prof. Satish Mahapatra, Retired faculty member of Dept. ofEconomics|